Pages

Monday, February 03, 2014

Intentional Mondays


Quote of the week... "A year from now, you'll wish you'd started today." Karen Lamb
How true this is about so many things. If you have a dream to go after, what are you waiting for?

Write Every Day... I knew that last week would be a joke, writing wise, and it was. Add in some unexpected snow days and... fuhgeddaboutit. I did get some research done for a new book I'm mulling over. But only about 500 words written beyond that. I'm anticipating getting some writing done on Monday and Tuesday this week. I've already set up the scene I'm going to write and just have to dive in once everyone is tucked away at school and at work and the house is quiet. Wednesday and Thursday are busy out-of-the-house days but come Friday I'm headed to a beach house with a couple of other writers to get some real work done. I'm anticipating this retreat, as you can imagine.

My One Word... AFFIRM continues to be a great word choice for this year. I'm filtering everything that happens through that word and it's helping me to capture those runaway worries I am sometimes plagued with. Instead I just center my thoughts on God affirming His promises.

Listening To... This week's top 40 countdown on Sirius XM 80's on 8 was from this week in 1987. I was a junior in high school and it was quite fun to hear some forgotten songs from that time. Brought back memories!

Sharing Stories... I finished my January nonfiction book, HANDS FREE MAMA by Rachel Macy Stafford. Here's my quick review of it: The book was perhaps a bit too wordy and there wasn't enough white space on the page is my only critique of it. It could've been shorter and gotten the same message across. What was the message? That as moms we need to keep our hands free of the many devices that can capture our attention-- laptops, phones, ereaders, iPads, etc. etc. etc. For me this message sunk in a few years ago much the same way it sunk in with the author: that she was missing her kids because her attention was diverted elsewhere. I think the book is perfectly aimed at moms in their 30's (I am, ahem, a bit older than that) who are raising small kids. I remember the time when I was immersed in little people and desiring connection with other adults. I shudder to think what I would've been like back in those days if Facebook and Twitter and Pinterest had been available. And I can see why this message is a needful one now. If this applies to you or someone you love this book would be worth buying. For me it was both an affirmation that I'm on track, and a gentle reminder to keep my priorities in order.

Randomness... I've been fighting off a cold for the past few days and am starting to think I'm losing the battle. Please pass the Zi-Cam. And my pillow.

In The Kitchen... I have never had to throw out anything I've ever baked. Perhaps this was a point of pride in my life I was unaware of and I needed to be humbled. Because this past Saturday, I had my day of reckoning when I baked a "White Russian Cake" that did NOT turn out AT ALL. It looked lovely (see photo below) but when I cut into it, it was the consistency of a baked pudding, if that makes sense. It was sort of solid, yet mushy and spongy at the same time. I had never tasted anything like it in my life. Not believing me that something that looked tasty could be that bad, each family member insisted on tasting it for themselves. I should've had a camera to capture their faces because their looks of revulsion were priceless. Needless to say the cake went straight into the trashcan. And that was a whole afternoon of my life I could not get back with nothing to show for it. Sigh.

Plans... This week I have my first Bible study at church (was supposed to start last week but we had one inch of snow that threw our entire town into hysteria-- this is the south, after all-- and school was cancelled for two days). We are studying Jen Hatmaker's book, 7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess, which I've heard good things about. (Want to read it? The ebook is just $2.99 right now, I have no idea for how long.)  I also have my yearly mammogram. Have you had yours?? Don't put it off. I'm meeting with a teacher I'm going to be subbing for in March and April at the private school where I've been teaching part time. I'm teaching journalism so that should be fun. We are going over what I'm supposed to do and that same day I'm having lunch with a friend so we can catch up after the craziness of Christmas and-- oh yeah-- January too. I'm also doing lunch duty in my youngest's classroom, which I do once a month. Then I leave on Friday to head to the lovely Isle of Palms SC for a "research" and writing trip. It's a tough job, but someone's gotta do it.

Loveliness... See how deceptive loveliness can be below. I'm sure there's a very powerful illustration to be had here. Feel free to apply this hard-earned lesson in your own life accordingly. At least then all that time I spent might be worth something.

Photo of the Week...

Cake Failure: Looks can be deceiving.
Pin It!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a busy week! Chad and I are in Charleston right now, so we have been near the Isle of Palms. Actually, we are staying on Daniel Island, but we spent the day in Charleston. Anyway, I came up with him for a business reason, but since our 25th wedding anniversary is tomorrow...it was a nice little treat. We plan on a longer 'anniversary' trip to NC later in the spring--hopefully to Asheville and Blowing Rock. I'm looking forward to it! Hope you enjoy your writing retreat...it sounds wonderful! :)