Pages

Thursday, January 26, 2012

The One Where I Find An Old Verse Anew


What's your handicap? Let's face it, we all have one. Or more. Today I was lamenting in my journal about one particular handicap, and the words "My grace is sufficient" came to my mind. So I thought to myself, "Hey, I haven't read that verse in a really long time. Why don't I look it up?" So I did. And then of course I had to write the whole passage in my journal because it was so so so fitting for what I was journaling about.

I love it when that happens. When a verse that's so familiar that you don't even really pay attention to it anymore becomes new and exciting again, speaking to you in a fresh and insightful way as only the Bible can.

Here's the thing. I love the Bible. I love Jesus. I love God. I love that I have the Holy Spirit in me, directing me, speaking to me. I've struggled recently with God's people and some of the things I see around me. But at the end of the day I absolutely don't change on those absolutes in my life. The Word is still my lifeline, my support. Everything may change around me. People may betray me, disappoint me, shock me. I might want to get far far away from their brand of religion. I might feel the sting of rejection, the shame of not measuring up, the pain of just not fitting in. But I always have His comfort as close as that old red leather Bible-- His certainty, His promises-- a personal message that speaks to my heart, cutting through all the junk that vies to crowd it out.

Today the words below were a comfort to me. I needed to be reminded that the very thing I try to rid myself of can be seen as a gift with just a shift in perspective. I needed to remember that God is always, always, always keeping me humble... and dependent. I needed to take those words "My grace is enough, it's all you need" with me throughout the coming day-- replacing the words my flesh wants to say with that truth as many times as it takes.

Read on, and maybe you'll find comfort too.

2 Corinthians 12:7-10
The Message (MSG)

7-10Because of the extravagance of those revelations, and so I wouldn't get a big head, I was given the gift of a handicap to keep me in constant touch with my limitations. Satan's angel did his best to get me down; what he in fact did was push me to my knees. No danger then of walking around high and mighty! At first I didn't think of it as a gift, and begged God to remove it. Three times I did that, and then he told me,

My grace is enough; it's all you need.
My strength comes into its own in your weakness.

Once I heard that, I was glad to let it happen. I quit focusing on the handicap and began appreciating the gift. It was a case of Christ's strength moving in on my weakness. Now I take limitations in stride, and with good cheer, these limitations that cut me down to size—abuse, accidents, opposition, bad breaks. I just let Christ take over! And so the weaker I get, the stronger I become.
Pin It!

4 comments:

Beth Cotell said...

Thanks for a great post! I was reading in Corinthians yesterday but I was using the NIV. I love the way the Message states this passage.

Thanks for sharing because it is definitely a message that I needed to hear today!

Zibilee said...

As someone who has been slowly pulling away from some of the people and things that I find disheartening in my spiritual walk, reading your perspective today lets me know that I am not alone, and also reminded me that when I am in the word, things just seem to feel more together and meaningful. It's so weird, because even though I have been pulling away from devious people, I have been in my bible more often, and I feel less conflicted and sad. It's an impressive book to say the least, and it has so many hidden treasures lying in wait for all of us. So glad that you dusted off an old verse and found something new today!

Jackie S. said...

I needed this today, too.....tough day with some people! Thanks!

Angie A. said...

I love those verses. Ever since I was diagnosed with my handicapping condition, I have leaned on them - heavily at times.

And, like you, I'd forgotten about it and gotten discouraged lately because of the pain. Thankfully, the Lord sent your blog my way via email. :)

Thank you so much for the much needed reminder.