Pages

Monday, March 28, 2011

In A Food Mood: Snacks For Kids


Today I am featuring a blog post I stumbled upon last week. I loved her idea for healthy snacks so I thought I would share it here. More and more I am learning about the importance of protein and fiber for me-- why not my kids?

I thought I'd also include a recipe here for homemade granola bars. This is a great alternative to the packaged kind and tastes much better! Make some for your kids this week for an afterschool snack or to pack in their lunchboxes. Or serve them as a quick breakfast!

Chocolate Chip Granola Bars

1/2 cup softened butter or margarine
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup corn syrup
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
3.5 cups quick oatmeal
1 cup chocolate chips

Heat oven to 350. Grease 9X13 pan. Beat butter, sugar, and syrup until light and fluffy. Blend in egg and vanilla. Add oats and chips. Press firmly into pan. Bake 20-23 minutes. Cool and cut into bars. These take minutes to mix up and are super tasty!

Cinnamon Raisin Granola Bars

1 2/3 cups Bisquick
1 2/3 cups quick oats
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 cup margarine softened
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup raisins (Can add coconut, chopped nuts, or butterscotch chips too!)

Mix Bisquick, oats, cinnamon and brown sugar. Add margarine and mix with fork or fingers. Add remaining ingredients and press evenly in ungreased 9X13 pan. Bake at 350 for 15-17 minutes or until center is set. Cut into bars while still warm. Store in covered container.
Pin It!

4 comments:

Kate said...

Thanks for passing along the granola bar recipe. I bet they taste much better than store bought, are healthier and cheaper too!

Anonymous said...

I'm going to make these today for my 3 teens who are in sports. They need something to tie them over from school to practice before supper at 6 p.m. I refuse to buy the unhealthy commercial ones. The protein/energy bars are usually $1 per bar so this will be much cheaper.
Thanks,
Jane

Melissa @ Half Dozen Mama said...

Thank you so much for sharing a link to my blog. I'll have to try your granola bars too. Blessings to you and your half dozen!

bp said...

I used your recipe for granola bars yesterday. Yummy! Thanks for sharing. We've all enjoyed them and they are super easy.