Pages

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Thursday Thought: Your Questions Answered


Q: I would love to start a blog. Can you give some tips? I think which I need to pray about is to encourage others. I would love to do a blog to encourage others about the everyday things we face especially as a single mother.

A: One thing I have seen with my blog is that if you're going to commit to it, you need to commit to some level of consistency if you want to grow a readership. If that means you post only on Wednesdays, or you post only three times per week, or M-F (that's what I do), etc.

Also have a subject that you try to focus on-- if it's organization, marriage, motherhood, knitting-- what have you. Pick something that you're passionate about and become the go-to place for that. Since you're a single mom, you have a great potential to minister to other single moms.

Having a blog will make you a better writer. That is for sure.

And finally, don't hold anything back. Give your best. Don't save things for later-- information, tips, insight, etc. Put your best foot forward and readers will come. It won't happen overnight but you will see growth.

Plus blogging is just plain fun. It's fun to share your life with others. It's fun to make connections with other people. It's fun to know that what you're learning is going "out there" to people other than yourself.

Q: I've been thinking about starting a blog about homeschooling. I have 4 kids, 2 are school age the other two preschool age and my husband is in the army. I'm a little concerned about privacy though and if I should even do it at all. I know I'm not unique in this situation and I would love to encourage other moms in this situation but I don't know. I'm going to pray about it first but I have to be brave enough and know more about it first. Thanks!

A: I gave some tips above about starting a blog so I will just comment on the privacy issue. I would encourage you not to give out your location. If it asks when you register the blog for where you live, simply give a region and not a particular city. Also, don't put your last name anywhere. Just use an initial. And finally, don't use your kids' names. One blog I read regularly gives her kids nicknames on the blog. I always just give the child's age. I will say "My 14 yo son" instead of give his name. Another thing is to not post pictures of them. One blog I read only shows her kids' profiles or the back of them. It sounds odd, but it works.

However you protect your privacy, it is smart to think of these things on the front end.

Good luck to both of you as you begin your blogging adventure!
Pin It!

No comments: