Pages

Monday, November 08, 2010

In A Food Mood


Today I am going to share a menu with you, and a favorite Thanksgiving recipe, as promised. I just bought a book called Thanksgiving 101 from Amazon and am looking forward to adding it to my collection. You can check it out here. (When I was buying, there were used copies to be had... I love finding used copies. Of course, as an author I should encourage you to buy everything new. Ahem.)

Here's our menu at the Whalen house for this week:

Barbecue pork chops on the grill, pasta salad, corn

Meatloaf, homemade mac and cheese, green beans

White chile served with tortilla chips, sour cream and shredded cheese

Waffles and bacon, cooked apples

Baked Ziti with Italian Sausage, salad, bread

Crispy Oven Chicken, Steamed Broccoli, Mashed Potatoes

And here's a Thanksgiving recipe, as promised:

We'll start with the turkey. Never cooked a whole turkey before? This is an easy way to do one!
(This recipe is from my holiday ebook: A Recipe For Christmas JOY, available from Proverbs 31 Ministries.)

Bag-It! Turkey
1 Tbsp. All-purpose flour
2 ribs sliced celery
1 medium sliced onion
1 (12-24 pound) thawed turkey
vegetable oil
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Shake flour into oven bag; place bag in roasting pan that is at
least 2 inches deep. Add celery and onion to bag. Remove neck and giblets from turkey.
Rinse turkey, pat dry with paper towels. Brush with oil. Place turkey, breast side up, on
top of vegetables. Close bag with nylon tie; cut six ½ inch slits in top. Insert meat
thermometer through slit into thickest part of thigh, not touching bone. Bake until meat
thermometer reads 180 degrees.
2-2 ½ hours for a 12-16 pound turkey
2 1/2 – 3 hours for a 16-20 pound turkey
3-3 ½ hours for a 20-24 pound turkey
When done, let turkey stand in bag for 15 minutes. Remove from bag, discard vegetables
and reserve drippings for gravy, if desired.
The bag really does seal in the juices and results in a turkey that is not dry-- always a good thing.

Next week, we'll move on to side dish recipes. Hope you'll come back and visit then!
Pin It!

4 comments:

Cheri Bunch said...

I am reading your book "The Mailbox", Marybeth, and loving it. Will finish today.
No turkey for us this year. All five of my children will be away. Others say to volunteer somewhere or ask others over. Haven't found the solution that the Lord is requiring yet. Maybe I will spend the day simply thanking Him ... all day! I think He would like that!

Happy cooking!

I love your menu ideas! Thanks for sharing them!

Cheri

Zibilee said...

Your menu for this week bears a lot of similarities with my own! Great minds thing alike, I guess!

Also, thanks for posting the turkey recipe. I have only done it once, but it was a disaster, and I have been looking for some new ideas. Glad to have this!

Melissa Milbourn said...

I'm at home, and I'm on your blog. All is back to normal again. Life is good. ha. and your menu looks awesome

Marybeth Whalen said...

I am so glad to hear you can get on. You can't imagine my relief!! All is right with the world.