Pages

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Suzy Homemaker Day


So how is my family life looking in the midst of these edits?

I was thinking of this this morning as I started off my day-- a day I have dubbed my "Suzy Homemaker Day." I decided to devote the whole day to my home and family. No writing other than this blog post and a few emails. The theory is that I will have done enough today to carry over to tomorrow while I spend some time writing and then go out with my hubby at night.

So, what does my Suzy Homemaker Day look like?

Well I got up and did laundry and dishes. (Always do-- that will be true tomorrow too.) Then I cut up some onions, potatoes and carrots into the crockpot and put a whole chicken on top to cook all day. I stuffed the chicken with fresh rosemary and bay leaves and sprinkled it liberally with a variety of seasonings-- just whatever looked good. I will serve the chicken, carrots and potatoes with some peas for an easy dinner tonight. I am also making an apple crisp for dessert. Yum-- a great fall meal!

While that whole chicken is cooking, I have another one on the burner simmering away in a pot of water. After about two hours, I will take the chicken out, shred the meat and strain the liquid, which is now chicken broth. I will put that in the fridge so that tomorrow morning all I have to do is throw the meat and broth in the crockpot (Yes, it is my friend and constant sidekick) in with the ingredients for white chili. So tomorrow night's meal is nearly taken care of by doing a little prep work today.

I also made a menu plan and a list of things we need from both Target and the grocery store. In just a few minutes I will be heading out (in the rain) to tackle both these lists and come home with enough groceries for all of next week. The new menu plan is on my fridge and waiting to be cooked each day. I like to work once, then not have to think later. This buys me time down the road, once again freeing me up to work on the editing I am doing. I try to start our meals in the morning (hence the constant crockpot use) and then know that dinner is basically done and my family won't be eating cold cereal. I write better without the nagging feeling of other things I should be doing hanging over my head.

Last night I was talking to someone who assumed that my family is living off pizza and Chinese takeout while I work through these edits. But I don't feel like they should have to and, with a little planning, they don't. My first priority is them and, by doing things to ensure that they are, I can still keep all the plates spinning. Do I get a little dizzy sometimes? Absolutely. On those nights we do order the $5 Domino's special. But thankfully those nights don't come along all that often and with God's help my house-- and my family-- keeps going as though nothing has changed. It just takes a few Suzy Homemaker days along the way. The funny thing is, I love these days as much as the really profitable writing days because it makes me feel like I am taking good care of my family-- something I want to always do, no matter what.
Pin It!

8 comments:

Arlene said...

Isn't the crock pot the greatest invention of all time?! I have 2 and use them both, sometimes simultaneouly. So much nicer to serve the family a home cooked meal that took 10 minutes to prepare and toss in the old crock pot than unhealthy fast food. You go girl!

Praying God will get you through this editing business so you can get back to "normal" life (whatever that is!). Blessings to you.

Eagles Wings said...

I love the crockpot...but hubby has wrangled mine for his hunt club..and 4 batches of chili...
Blessings Suzy Homemaker

Unknown said...

Okay, I've never put a whole chicken in the crockpot at one time? That works? How do you prep it? I've only used chicken breasts in the crockpot--this whole chicken things sounds REALLY GOOD!

Rebecca

Terri said...

Amen, sister! More women need to know how easy it is to provide healthy and economical meals for their family. Last week I had one of those days... one thing i did was to put a frozen turkey breast in the crockpot... when it was done and cooled, I sliced it and made sandwiches to freeze for lunches this week. That sure helped with the early mornings this week! Blessings!

Oh Dear said...

I need in home tutoring!

Amber Rain said...

Great suggestions! I have two crockpots but need to put them to better use! With the chicken you put simmering on the stove, did you just put the raw chicken in and simmer it for the broth or was it the "leftover" chicken from another night? I've boiled chicken from the night before for broth, but if you can just stick an uncooked chicken in the water and simmer it, that would be a great timesaver. Haha...I agree with "Oh Dear"...sometimes I need some in home tutuoring!

MarshaMarshaMarsha said...

White chicken chili sounds yummy-- especially if it is something that can be done in the crockpot!

There are so many things to do and busy days, but my most favorite ones are the ones at home with my family. And the Suzy Homemaker ones give me the most satisfaction!

Christie said...

I love simple and doing things ahead!! You make it sound doable!!! :) Really, thanks for your blog! I love and NEED the inspiration!! :)