Pages

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Books Questions


As a confirmed bibliophile, I just had to do this little q&a when I saw it at As Cozy As Spring.

1. What author do you own the most books by? Lee Smith-- I started buying her books when I was in high school and one of my dad's rental house tenants moved out in the middle of the night, leaving behind boxes of books. Black Mountain Breakdown was in the boxes and I devoured it. I have loved her writing ever since...

2. What book do you own the most copies of? The Bible, it's a bit over the top how many we own, but that's totally my husband's fault... he has a Bible buying sickness.

3. Did it bother you that both those questions ended with prepositions? No-- as an English major, perhaps it should, but it totally doesn't

4. What fictional character are you secretly in love with? Phineas (Finny) in A Separate Peace, Noah in The Notebook

5. What book have you read the most times in your life? I re-read Anne Lamott's Traveling Mercies and Elizabeth Berg's Escaping Into The Open fairly often. Also Elizabeth Foss' book Real Learning is excellent and inspiring and worthy of regular re-reading for homeschool moms.

6. Favorite book as a ten year old? Mandy by Julie Andrews Edwards and Danny, The Champion Of The World by Roald Dahl

7. What is the worst book you’ve read in the past year? Typically if a book doesn't grab me, I simply don't read it-- so I can't say that I've actually read a bad book in the past year!

8. What is the best book you’ve read in the past year? House and Home by Kathleen McCleary-- I don't know why that one touched me the way it did-- probably because it's a book I would love to have written

9. If you could force everyone you know to read one book, what would it be? The Bible notwithstanding, I would say Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller

10. What book would you most like to see made into a movie? Blue Heart Blessed by Susan Meissner

11. What is the most difficult book you’ve ever read? the books I had to read when I took a semester's worth of Victorian literature... I still shudder at the memory of that class

12. What is your favorite book? There are so many-- that would be like asking me to choose a favorite child!! There are those that I see on the shelves at the library or the bookstore and just smile like I am running into a dear old friend... those are my favorites. The ones that make me smile when I see them again.

13. What is your favorite play? Oklahoma-- I have fond memories of my kids being in it for our community theater's summer production several years ago.

14. Poem? "Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening" by Robert Frost

15. Essay? "Welcome To Holland" by Emily Perl Kingsley (someone gave me this essay when my son was born with a birth defect-- it so captured what I was going through and I never forgot it.) I also love the late Erma Bombeck's essays about life as a homemaker. Forever, Erma is a good book to check out to get a good collection.

16. Who is the most overrated writer alive today? I am stealing Jenn's answer but I would have to say she's right: Stephanie Meyer-- I just don't get the whole Twilight thing...

17. What is your desert island book? the Bible

18. And . . . what are you reading right now? Sleepwalking In Daylight by Elizabeth Flock (secular fiction-- not loving it but I want to see how everything turns out) and Self Talk, Soul Talk by Jennifer Rothschild (Christian nonfiction)... I have an extensive list of titles I hope to get to this summer in both fiction and non, Christian and secular... it's like at a buffet-- my eyes are always bigger than my stomach where books are concerned! I was so happy to see Elizabeth Berg has a new book out, and Jennifer Weiner's new book that comes out in a month looks great, too!

So many books, so little time!
Pin It!

2 comments:

Wendy Paine Miller said...

Fun reading both the questions and answers. I would have answered some the same way. Loved Blue Like Jazz for an answer and Berg's book on writing is great (all the writing exercises!)
~ Wendy

Alyce said...

I am so right there with you on #4..Noah!! I love that book and movie. I love reading Nicholas Sparks books..hope to get to New Bern this summer too. Seems so quaint.