Pages

Monday, February 16, 2009

For Love Of The Crock-Pot


If you have read this blog for any length of time, you know about my love for the Crock-pot. In fact, I love it so much, I have gone through three just this year! How does the saying go? You always hurt the ones you love? Yep! That's true in this case.

Anyway, I got this article from one of my eloops and thought I would share it with you, as it summarizes the many benefits of Crock-pot cooking. If you have one but don't use it, I urge you to get it out, dust it off (even better, wash it off) and put it to work for you. Armed with a few good recipes, your Crock-pot can be your best friend in the kitchen. There is nearly nothing so satisfying as getting to about 4:00 in the afternoon and knowing that dinner is already taken care of.

If you need some good Crock-pot recipes to get you going, check out A Year Of Crockpotting. This blogger vowed to use her Crock-pot every day in 2008, and she documented all the things she did. She even has the recipes archived in the sidebar according to chicken, beef, etc.

My Crock-Pot: Mean, green, $30 recession-fighting machine
By Jeff Yeager

What if I told you that I have a special Recession-Fighting Machine and that it cost me less than $30? In fact, you can probably find one at a local thrift store for a lot less than that, or the odds are pretty good that you may already have one hidden away in your kitchen cupboard. If the status-appliance of the last decade was a $10,000 Viking gas range, then the good old-fashioned Crock-Pot - AKA "slow cooker" - is the kitchen appliance du jour for today's tight economy.
My mom still has - and recently drafted back into active duty - the avocado green one with the funky paisley designs that I fondly remember her serving up a myriad of lentil concoctions from in the 1970s.

I guess those were relatively lean times too, at least for our family, but I'd be hard-pressed to name a time in my life when I was any happier. Maybe I'm just waxing nostalgic, but that Crock-Pot is no small part of the slow-cooked memories from that simpler time in my life that I still cherish to this day.

Save Energy Crock-Pots, particularly today's models, are energy-sippers compared to most other cooking methods like a traditional oven, stove-top, or toaster oven. Slow cookers use just 100 watts of electricity, which means that if you use it once a week for eight hours at a time, it'll only cost you about TWENTY CENTS a month in electricity!

Save on Groceries Slow-cooking is the key to transforming inexpensive, sometimes tough cuts of meat into tender, fall-off-the-fork morsels. Chances are that the least expensive cuts of meat in your butcher's case are perfect for the Crock-Pot. And of course Crock-Pots are perfect for cooking beans and other legumes, among the healthiest and least expensive foods you can eat. Check out the 1,400 slow cooker recipes at
southernfood.about.com.

Save Time Slow-cooking is even faster than fast food! Most Crock-Pot recipes involve only a few minutes of prep time - maybe chopping up a few veggies, stirring together some basic ingredients, and then turning on the slow cooker and forgetting about it. Forgetting about it, that is,until you return home after a hard day's work and you're greeted by that heavenly aroma of a home-cooked meal ready for the table.

Save on Dining Out While you can cook smaller portions in a Crock-Pot, most of today's models hold anywhere from four to eight quarts. Cook a full pot, and even for a large family you're likely to have more than one meal's worth of a dish. Freeze the leftovers or serve them again later in the week, or package them in small containers for lunches.

Save Your Health Because very few Crock-Pot recipes call for adding extra oil or using grease, most slow cooking dishes are relatively low in fat. Professional health writers Chet and Josh Day share some particularly healthy - and delectable - slow-cooking recipes.

Save Your Sanity There's no denying that these are stressful economic times for most Americans. Rarely has comfort food been so essential. We may not be able to afford the kind of luxuries you buy with money, but maybe we afford something even more valuable: The luxury of slowing down and enjoying a delicious slow-cooked meal with family and friends.

As my mom always says, "The only thing more important than what's on the table is who's sitting around it."
Pin It!

5 comments:

Arlene said...

I love my crockpots (I currently own 2) and so does my family. I didn't realize that it was SO cheap to operate! Yet another good reason to prepare healthy food in my slow cooker. I even got one of my best friends using hers which was still in the box. I gave her a slow cooker cookbook for her birthday, and now she uses hers at least once a week. Thanks for the article! Have a blessed week.

JottinMama said...

I love my crock-pot! I plan on using it this week! Yum. It is so nice coming home to a fully cooked meal :)

Have a great day :)

-Kate

Sandra in Phx said...

I love my crockpot! I have a huge 7 quart one and it is perfect for our family! I seem to go in spurts in cooking with it~using it twice a week for a month or so and then not using it for a couple month. This has spurred me to actively use it each week. What a huge energy saver (both in electricity and mom's energy!)

Unknown said...

Ahh...for the love of the "Crock Pot!" It is absolutely a kitchen "must-have."

DOakley said...

I love my crock-pot, too! I don't use it very often, but I love it when I do.

I love it because I can cook a meal--soup, chili, stew, roast--without having to watch it.

And, you're right about the heavenly aroma of a ready meal.

Yummmm!