Pages

Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Dailiness


I read a post today about how one of the things that people like about blogs is just the opportunity for a glimpse into the dailiness of life-- not the "big stuff" that happens, necessarily. Just the little things that go into making a life. I know that's what I connect with-- the randomness of what books people are reading, how they spend their time, what foods they eat, the cups of tea, piles of laundry, and little feet encased in dirty socks... you know, just stuff.
And so, after I read that, I got inspired to record the dailiness of our day today-- a very ordinary Tuesday... a rainy, gray day that found us indoors, occupying ourselves with a variety of activities.

Trying our hand at drawing a horse-- even though the book was kind of hard. This was my daughter's attempt.
(Forgive me that this photo is sideways. By the time I discovered it, it was already posted and I was too lazy to go through re-posting it!)
Reading a book-- yes, that's my nearly nine year old reading Multiple Blessings by Kate Gosselin. She said she was reading it, but I think she was just looking at the pictures! I read this book yesterday (in one day--I was sick and couldn't do much else). It was very good-- I am a fan of the show so I couldn't wait to get it from the library hold list. I was pleasantly surprised by the book-- it was definitely worth reading, especially if you already love the show!

Painting with our new Color Wonder watercolors.

Building I-don't-know-what's with Legos.

Having a surprise treat-- bought for half off this past weekend!

Watching a movie to pass the time, since going outside wasn't an option.


And tonight we will finish off this day with steaming bowls of this, cooked in my new ugly orange pot which I dearly love because a) it is nice and big and b) it does not have flakes of teflon coming off into our food... Trust me, that's a good thing. I am looking forward to chicken tortilla soup, topped with crushed tortilla chips and shredded cheese (for some).
A perfect meal for a cool, wet day.

Pin It!

9 comments:

Karin Katherine said...

I think you need to follow up this post with your recipe for chicken tortilla soup!
; 0 )

Sandra in Phx said...

I love the "dailiness" stuff too!! There is something kind of fun knowing what people are really doing, what they are eating and what their kids do to pass the time.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing, Marybeth! We are big fans of Jon & Kate Plus 8 and I loved the book too :)

Diane

Lysa TerKeurst said...

I love the ugly orange crockpot! Where did you get it?

It looks retro and cool.

Marybeth Whalen said...

It's not a crockpot-- it's a stockpot/Dutch oven-- a very, very tall one!

I think my mom got it at TJ Maxx. I love its ugly orange color, too. But then I am told by my teenage daughter that I have no taste, so I assumed it was just me!

Christine said...

Love seeing your daily-ness!

Christina Tarabochia said...

I love watching Jon & Kate. As a debut author, I couldn't help but see how confident and assured Kate was on the episode where they promote the book in New York. The publicist from Zondervan was following her around. With me, it would have been the other way around! :-)

Oh Dear said...

We are big Lego fans!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for reading my post. :) Chocolate does make a day a little better, doesn't it?

We got rid of our cable access a few months ago but the reference to Jon & Kate makes me wish I could check in on them as well. I wonder if they have a blog?

Off to check the library for season videos.