Pages

Monday, December 08, 2008

Christmas Post Day 10: A Time To Treasure


Treasure the holiday. Treasure the moments. Treasure one another.


When I read this quote on Cay Gibson's blog, it resonated with me. Shouldn't that be the goal for all of us this holiday season?

This weekend, I was able to spend some time treasuring all three things in one special event. We were invited by my mother in law to join her at her church's Christmas tea. This annual event draws lots of women, and it takes place in the church I grew up and got married in. So, it is very special for me to go there and take part in this time. The place where the event is held is where I had my reception, as a matter of fact! I can hardly stand in that room without memories coming back to me. I have to laugh at myself just a bit... it's so hard not to when I think of who I was then versus who I am now. Praise God I'm not who I was.

But I digress, as I often do.

I am so glad for memories made with my girls. They are growing up and all too soon will be gone, living their own lives apart from me. Better to take advantage of the time I have been given now, capturing these moments and these memories... treasuring them.

Will you carve out some time to treasure with your children this season? Schedule a day to bake and decorate cookies. Pile them into the car for an impromptu trip to Krispy Kreme (if you are fortunate enough to live near one) to get donuts and hot chocolate for no reason at all. Invite just one child to go shopping with you and let them help you choose gifts for loved ones. It doesn't matter what you do-- it only matters that you do it. I know I need to do more of it!

Christmas is a time to treasure, but I know I have to be held accountable for what I am treasuring, lest I put too much time and energy in all the wrong things and miss the precious moments I have been given.

(I will post some photos from the tea tomorrow!)

Pin It!

1 comment:

Kelly said...

So true, Marybeth! I need to remember to do special things like your suggestions with the grandkids, since we don't have little kids in the house anymore. We had a nice visit yesterday with four of them and I posted pictures on my blog! The twin babies are one and adorable! They will be fun to take to a teaparty someday.
Looking forward to seeing your teaparty pictures...and I hope that scarf made it to you in the mail okay too..and it's cold enough for you to wear it! :-)
Blessings,
Kelly