Pages

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Thursday Thought


Today in my devotion, I read about how God appeared to Moses in the midst of his ordinary work. He didn't wait for some uber spiritual moment. He didn't take Moses to some mountaintop to make Himself known. He came to him in the middle of his daily life, invading and intervening.

The point of the devotion is that God comes to us in the most ordinary circumstances. He finds us doing our thang and calls us out, surprising us. Interrupting us. Validating us, even in the midst of our ordinariness.

Have you been wondering how God can use you? Have you been downplaying the value that is to be found in that pile of laundry, that sink full of dirty dishes, that stack of papers? He is there, in the middle of your most humblest of tasks.

"Those high spiritual times and wonderful communication with the unseen world are not promised to us, but a daily life of communication with Him is. And it is enough for us, for He will give us those times of exceptional revelation if it is the right thing for us."

Don't discount the value in going about your ordinary life, doing the humblest of tasks.

"Beloved Father, help me to expect You as I travel the ordinary road of life. I am not asking for sensational experiences. Fellowship with me through my everyday work and service, and be my companion when I take an ordinary journey. And let my humble life be transformed by Your presence."

That is my prayer, is it yours?

(Quotes taken from Streams In the Desert, p. 398-399)
Pin It!

5 comments:

JottinMama said...

Your post reminds me of a quote I recently ran across:

" A dairy made can milk cows to the glory of God." - Martin Luther

I needed that this morning - thank you :)

Blessings,
Kate :)

Laurie Ann said...

Definitely needed this encouragement - God meeting us where we are! Great post, Marybeth!

Bonita said...

This is exactly what my pastor's wife spoke about last night at Bible Study. She said too often we look for the spectacular and miss the ordinary leading of God.

Anonymous said...

My mentor always said "Jesus is changing that baby's diaper with your hands." Jesus changes diapers. Through me. I guess He cooks pork chops through me, too, which I'd better let Him get doing for dinner for these children. Lol.

Ariel Allison Lawhon said...

Amen my friend!