Pages

Saturday, September 27, 2008

My First Try At A Visual Journal


This morning on my way to a baby shower, I stopped off at AC Moore's and bought this sketch pad. It was about $6 regular price, but the nice girl at the checkout counter scrounged around and found me a half off coupon. I chose this journal because it didn't have as many pages as some of them did. I wanted a thinner journal because I didn't know how well it would hold up. I imagine I will travel with this and it will probably have a lot of wear and tear. I would like to cover the cover with some pretty paper and maybe have it laminated? We shall see.


Here is the first page: I made it sort of inspirational, and plan to journal some goals for myself here. If you can't tell from the photo, the picture I included is a laptop sitting by a beautiful stream. And of course, the saying goes right along with the goals.

I love the way this page turned out! If you can't tell from the photo, the second page is a bunch of doors. I cut up about five magazines so far. My old Martha Stewart Livings were the best ones to get photos from. I threw away a ton of magazines when we moved and am now regretting it! I checked at the library today because they have a swap area where people leave old magazines-- but there weren't any good ones. Anyone know where to find some for cheap? I hate to buy magazines just to cut them up!


Two things I try to do all the time--
listen for God's promptings and learn new things.


A seasonal page-- I have several more fall-ish photos I will include in my journal-- but I didn't want to get too far ahead of myself and end up with fall pages and fall be already over. I also cut out quite a bit of Christmas-themed photos, which I will look forward to including when that time comes, which will be before we know it!
I hoped you enjoyed looking at the beginnings of my visual journal. I am excited about having a journal to jot down funny things my kids say, memories of events, quotes that I love, scripture that speaks to me, insights I am getting through Bible study and conversations with friends, etc. I like that this book is truly mine-- beautiful yet individual, visually appealing yet extremely practical and usable. Please leave me a comment if you try your hand at making one!
Here are a few links I found on other visual journals:
I plan to use the Simple Woman's Daybook format from time to time, as a means of consistent documentation of what we are up to, what I am thinking of and concerned with. If nothing else, it will be a jumping off place when the well runs dry-- a way to make myself write something in the rare moments when I have nothing to say.
Pin It!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks great! I would try your local FreeCycle group to try and get some magazines that people would otherwise be throwing out. :)

Unknown said...

Love this idea. Not one for journaling but this might just do the trick. Can't wait to try it.

Bonita said...

Looks terrific! Of course, now I want to make one of these rather than write that curriculum I'm supposed to be writing! Not that I get easily distracted or anything. hee hee

Laurie Ann said...

This is great! You did a great job with the choice of photos...I love the ones with the doors. Visual journaling...hmmm...may have to try my hand at this one day soonish.

Anonymous said...

I like it. When I was in high school, I used to decoupage those black marble composition book covers with magazine photos and headlines. Isn't it fun?

Stacy said...

Just came to your blog from visiting the Scrapbook of Christmas Firsts tour...I love this idea and can't wait to try it out and show another friend of mine!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey...another thing we have in common! I have a book like this, but I call mine my 'Inspirations and Joyful Expressions' journal! I'm forever cutting out pictures and graphics from magazines that are beautiful or just 'speak' to me. I started it on my 40th birthday last year. However, I've gotten behind lately and I have a huge stack of stuff to glue into my book that I just keep putting in a file folder. Hmmm...you've inspired me to get it out and get to gluing! LOL
Lovely! Thanks for sharing! I'll have to do a post on my book soon!
Hugs,
Amy