Pages

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

We Won! We Won!!


Last night was our last swim meet of the regular season. For the third season in a row, our neighborhood swim team went undefeated to become the league regular season champions-- a record that has not occurred in our league in either 20 or 30 years, depending on who you ask. As my husband said, "Either way, it's a long dadgum time."

(And for those of you who were at She Speaks, you now know we really do say words like "dadgum" and "fixin to" and "y'all."-- even in the 21st century. Some things in the south just will not die-- like eating grits and drinking sweet tea and southern accents. No matter how many people from up north move down here, the accent just won't die out. In fact, I know plenty of northerners who moved down south and now find themselves saying, "y'all" with some regularity. We wear you down over time.)

Anyway back to the subject at hand, there was much celebrating going on around these here parts as we have now become a record-setting, championship team. And I am reminded why we aren't leaving this little small-town neighborhood when we move next week.

This morning Curt went to fill up my car with gas and some guy saw his tee shirt from our neighborhood. (Yes. We have tee shirts for our neighborhood. Because we're fancy that way.) He hollered at Curt across the parking lot, "Hey, did they win last night?"

It did Curt's heart good that that happened. We live in Mayberry.

And we like it that way.
Pin It!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats! I wish I had a "Mayberry" kind of neighborhood! Of course, I already sound like I live there. :-)

Renata said...

Congrats!! - by the way what is "grit" - here in Australia it is dirt eg. to get grit in your eye!! I'm sure you're not eating dirt.
Renata :)