Pages

Monday, July 23, 2007

Bad News


I got some bad news today from my mom. My grandmother, who suffered a stroke several months ago is not doing well and is not expected to live through the week. I have thought about her all day as a result, wondering how she is and how much she knows about what is going on. I know she has told my mom several times that she is ready, as I would be in her situation, I am sure. She knows the Lord and is ready to go and be with Him. Of course, that is still hard to accept this side of heaven. My grandfather died nearly eight years ago and she has not had much of a quality of life since his death. He was the glue that held the family together-- and he added so much to her life. His absence left a huge hole in all our lives-- and mostly, I expect, in hers.

Tonight as I ran I thought about how unfair it is that I was able to run while my grandmother sits in a rehab center slowly fading. I thought about how fast life goes by-- and how my grandmother would probably agree. My thoughts took me to the place of being the old woman who has already lived her life while my granddaughter is out living her life. And I knew with certainty how quickly that will happen. Just ask an older person and they will tell you.

And then I had one final thought-- that perhaps Jesus will return before that happens. And I realized that, as He said, "No one knows the hour or the day that He will return." (Matthew 24:36) And with that in mind, I thought about the fact that the reality is, He could return before my grandmother dies. Just as I thought of all of that, this song came on. And as I ran, I was envisioning His return and celebrating just for a moment what that will be like to see Him riding in on the clouds.

We will all sing: Here is our King.

Majesty.

Finally.
Pin It!

1 comment:

Lori ~ The Simple Life at Home said...

I'm sorry to hear that your grandmother isn't doing well. But, truly, you can rejoice in her "homegoing," knowing that she is with Christ. But it's sad for us left behind. One day, you'll see her, and your grandfather, again.